Date(s) - 05/28/2016
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Categories No Categories
The ESB-MACC and the Voces Oral History Project at the University of Texas at Austin present:
Oral History to Document the Latina/o Experience
Saturday, May 28, 10am – 4pm
This workshop is intended for beginner to advanced interviewers and videographers.
What will be covered:
- What is the best equipment to use?
- How to get your own project/collection started
- Interview prep
- Effective and gentle interviewing techniques
- Including additional documentation in your interview
- Why it’s crucial to deposit your interview at a library/archive
- Why oral history is key to the Latina/o experience
Presented by: Voces Oral History Project Director Maggie Rivas-Rodriguez, Comadres Founder and Voces volunteer Nora Comstock, and Voces videographer/photographer Gabriel Perez. Rivas-Rodriguez has more than 17 years of daily news experience, mostly as a reporter for the Boston Globe, WFAA-TV in Dallas and the Dallas Morning News. Her most recent professional work was for the Morning News state desk as bureau chief of the border bureau, based in El Paso, covering border states. She also was on the committee that organized and founded the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, of which she is a member of the Hall of Fame.